February is traditionally the start of the repotting season for Deciduous trees only do not repot Evergreen trees this month.
At the start of the month I select the pots and the trees Im going to repot.
Clean the inside and outside of the pot with an insecticide/Fungicide).
Make your wire staples.
Cover the holes with mesh held in place with wire staples. (This will keep the soil medium in and insects out).
Use a long piece of wire so you can hold the tree in place.
(In the next blog I will go through step-by-step on how to repot a tree).
Other tasks undertaken in February:
- Clean all your benches/stands with an insecticide/Fungicide (even re paint them).
- Start to undercut roots for trees in the ground ready for lifting next month.
- Make sure you have enough wire, soil and pots (see store).
- Sharpen your tools.
- All trees can now be wired but make sure you keep an eye on the wire during the coming months as the trees begin to swell.
- Late February is the best time for redesigning/reshaping and branch pruning of Deciduous trees (apart from Maples and Pines).
We still have a few spaces left for our 4th March One-to-One session (£40 or £20 if 16 years or under*)
Its a hands on session where we go through all the above and a lot more.
Also on the 25th February Swindon Bonsai Club are holding their annual Winter Show (Swindon Winter Show 2018 Details)
*Must be accompanied by an adult.